Sunday, October 15, 2006

Turn Around

I am amazed at how quickly things change. One moment life seems to be heading in one direction, and the next you have completely turned around and you are heading the other way. I've never understood how that can be so, but in many ways I am grateful for the unexplained phenomenon.

Just a few weeks ago I was gushing about the way that I love my newfound community/family. Last week I was challenged by the response of some in that same community. Last week I was struggling with my lack of influence and the way I feel unused. Today I am surrounded by people who cannot wait to have me join them in ministry, and they almost need to fight over who will have me work with them and when. There is so much for me to do, and so much I am capable of doing, that I am almost overwhelmed. A month ago I was desperately missing so many people who have meant so much in my life. Today I am again reading through the many emails from loved ones that have poured into my inbox over the course of the past two weeks, and I feel so close to those that have shaped my life the most over the past few years. The way that things can turn around amazes me.

I like that things can turn around. I guess this post will once again prove what a bad Calvinist I make, because I cannot help but think that I love having the chance for things to turn (and the will to turn when I choose). In a moment your world can fall apart, and that can be bad. But in just one more moment, all things can be made right and you can turn toward something good and wonderful again. I like having the hope of things turning around. I like knowing that even when I turn the wrong way there is hope that I can turn back. When I think of every turn of events in my life, and even in my day, I am filled with an incredible hope. While some of the turns are negative, being able to turn is a blessed and beautiful thing. Life can turn around. I can turn, others can turn, God can turn things around. And I trust that one day all things will be turned in the right direction, and I trust that everything will turn out great. I await that day with great anticipation.

In the meantime, I will keep on turning around and around, I am certain. I will go the wrong way, things will get crazy, I will change my mind. Circumstances will befall me, and wild and wondrous things will result. But all the time I stand secure in the one thing that will always be true of my life--things can turn around. All things can turn and be directed for my good and for God's glory. And eventually, all things will be directed toward such.

I have turned from loving my community to doubting its sincerity and love. I have turned from feeling unused to feeling productive in the most wonderful transcendent sense of productivity. I have turned from overwhelming loss to the knowledge and experience of extraordinary love and affection. I turn toward the hope of moving in the right direction as even my way of thinking turns around and becomes positive in direction.

And now I turn my attention to the ever-growing stack of homework beside the computer, so that I may turn my Hebrew vocab quiz grade around this week! May you have an amazing turn of events today, and may you keep on turning until you are headed in the very best direction.

1 Comments:

At 10:19 PM, Blogger CT said...

Hey Ro!!!
Good to hear from you. Yes, it is I. Things are both crazy and great--way too busy, way too much stress, but having a blast and loving life most of the time.

Are you still in the (not so glamorous but filled with just as much drama as the large West Coast version) OC? I don't miss it for a minute. Except for thunderstorms, grass, and my family. I'll be home over Christmas so I'll appease one out of three cravings, I suppose.

You'll have to update me on life and what is going on with you. Talk to you later!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home