Wednesday, November 29, 2006

The Happy Song

Something about my thinking lately has been depressing, self-defeating, and downright bitchy. It makes me tired. So I think that I will change it. I'm not sure yet whether I believe that is possible--changing my thinking--but I often hear people say that if you pretend you are something long enough you become that something. Now I don't think that works in every context, for sure. I cannot pretend to be a penguin and eventually become a penguin. But I think that I can think more happily and feel more happy. Maybe.

So I'll write a happy song to sing. It will make me happy. But I'll need to go and use Adam's or Nic's guitar--or to church/the office to use the piano. So I won't write the happy song now. (I know, you are terribly disappointed and await the Happy Song release with eager anticipation.) Now I will write a list of things that make me happy.

Sunshine makes me happy.
Mountains make me happy.
Getting mail that isn't a bill makes me happy.
Hiking makes me happy.
Beer makes me happy--but only good and yummy beer.
Dancing makes me happy.
Eating Ben and Jerry's makes me happy.
Going home for Christmas makes me happy.
Comp tickets to the Bach Choir make me happy.
Good conversation makes me happy.
Finishing my "to do" list makes me happy.
Being with my friends makes me happy.
Drawing makes me happy.
Singing makes me happy.
Working at NPBC makes me happy.
Meeting new people makes me happy.
Misty drinks make me happy.
Girls Night makes me happy.
Getting good grades makes me happy.
Remembering Hebrew vocab makes me happy.
Knowing what a first class conditional statement is makes me happy.
Being the first of my family to get my graduate degree makes me happy.
Ray makes me happy.
Chocolate makes me happy.
Baking fresh bread makes me happy.
Eating fresh bread makes me happy.
Going to La Jolla makes me happy.
Being "one of the guys" makes me happy.
Losing 20 lbs makes me happy.
When the neighbors car alarm is silent for 24 hours makes me happy.
Playing Candy Land makes me happy.
Writing poems makes me happy.
Being understood makes me happy.
Instant rebates make me happy.
Being silly makes me happy.
Being barefoot makes me happy.
Yoga makes me happy.
Meeting boys who love Heidegger and Aristotle makes me happy.
Rafting makes me happy.
Giving hugs makes me happy.
Thinking about happiness makes me happy.
Thinking about becoming a penguin makes me happy.

That is a lot of happy. I feel happier already.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home