Monday, November 12, 2007

For some reason show tunes are running through my head

Last night Scott reminded me that I am a poet and an artist. It seems funny I would have forgotten that. But I did forget that.

He said something about drawing things instead of using all of our words to try and explain them, and I thought about my sketches of self-portraits that I do every five or six months. Drawing myself says way more about who I am and who I was and where I've traveled than a journal does--and I can flip through six or eight pages and relive that journey, rather than reading page after page of daily thoughts in a journal. He also said something about poetry, and I went home and dug out a disk of poems I've written and I was amazed at the volumes those pages speak.

It is funny, but I think better when I am creating. I suppose that makes some sense--sort of like how I learn better when I am teaching--but it is still sorta strange. Strange, but true. Something deeper, more thoughtful, more raw and more challenging comes from me when I draw and write poems or songs. Something more true and more free seems to happen in my soul when artistic form is tied to my thoughts and emotions.

So, I wrote poems last night. And someday soon I will climb my favorite peak and sit in the brisk air drawing yet another self-portrait. And somehow I will be more true and more free and will gain greater clarity about where I fit in this crazy messed up world.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home